Update 11/19/2015: See this follow up article: Yahoo Small Business Listing Problems – YEXT or Aabaco or Luminate?
Update 11/1/2015: It appears that the SMB dashboard is now missing, please see this article for more information: http://www.telapost.com/luminate-coming-soon/
This is one that always seems to slip through the cracks. It seems that 99% of my clients have no idea how to access or claim their Yahoo Local listing, that or they never have, since they don’t use it. But, believe it or not, there are still people using Yahoo, and if I were you, I would claim that listing, get it verified, and give Yahoo all the info you can about your business.
Does Yahoo Local cost money?
Nearly everyone tells me they do not want to pay Yahoo! the $29.99/mo for their listing. If you know anything about search and user behavior, you know that many people glance at a page. Very few people take the time to read everything on a single page. Yahoo knows this as well. Is Yahoo intentionally being deceptive? It dupes the vast majority of people I speak to. This is what the first page looks like:
As you can see, there is a big “Get started now” button which leads you down a path that is going to run you $359.88/yr. I wonder how many people pay this and forget about it forever?
Yahoo Local listings are free.
Claiming your existing listing
Don’t remember setting up that listing? You probably didn’t. Yahoo pulls in information from a variety of sources. Anyways, here is the process, as of March 2015 (it changes often):
1. Go here. Unless you want this “Localworks” package scroll past it. Lower. Lower. Eventually you will find the “Try Local Basic Listing for free” section. Please note that there is nothing to try, the service is free and has been that way forever. Here is a very poor screenshot of the section you’re looking for:
2. Enter all of your business information. I can hear you now “Wait, I don’t want to list a new business, I want to claim my existing business listing!” It’s ok, we’ll get there. This IS the process.
3.Ta-da, there’s your business. Click “Claim Listing”.
4. Verify it. I have had mixed success with the phone system, but as of March 2015 it has been working out ok for us.
5. Another Localworks sales pitch:
6. On this screen, go on over to “Improve my local listing”, and, improve your listing.
- Use the exact same business Name, Address, and Phone # everywhere. This is your NAP info. Don’t be Law Offices of John Doe on one search engine and Attorney John Doe on the next.
- If you haven’t done so yet, make sure your Yelp info is 100% identical to your Yahoo info, as Yahoo now displays Yelp reviews.
- Add everything you can, hours, pictures, etc, give Yahoo everything possible.
7. Wait for the review process. It generally takes under a week. If you are just now naming your biz to match up with Yelp and hoping that your Yelp reviews display, give it a month.
- What Happened to ChicagoNow.com? - August 30, 2022
- The December 2021 Google Local Pack Algorithm Update - December 17, 2021
- Map Displaying to the Right of the Local Pack in Google Test in July 2021 - July 30, 2021
Thanks for the post, it got me through. It is so so damn annoying that they hide the path forward that most people want.
Cool deal, glad it helped someone. 😀
They couldn’t have hidden it much better than that!
I think they have hidden it even more. I don’t see the “Try Local Basic Listing for free” section at all now, do you?
Indeed, they moved it. Now it is a sentence towards the bottom of the page. It reads:
“Help customers get your business contact information on Yahoo Local. Includes address, phone number, and URL. Try it free.”
You have to click the “try it free” text to proceed…
Nope, not there. You need to update this post.
I can’t seem to find it, logged in or not. It looks like the small business dashboard is completely gone. There is a change coming November 9, 2015:
It think the hid it again or the moved it it, do you know the new location?
They did. Now it is just a TEXT LINK. Wow. Look for the text which reads:
Yahoo Local Basic Listing
Looking for Yahoo Basic Listing? Search for and verify your listing on Yahoo Local.
Oce you follow the steps you said (as of October 11th), they take you through the Yext process. You can’t get through without paying or if you click on the $0 cost option (way down at the bottom), they tell you that you will get a call from a Yext rep. No wonder Yahoo is losing revenue and only has 15% of search market.
The whole process is very shady and deceptive.
I will look into this again and see if I can figure it out and get the instructions updated.
We are having the same YEXT demand for payment. How do we do for free?
Zheng Portrait Photography
See this post: http://www.telapost.com/yahoo-smb-aabaco/
I recall trying to claim it 6 months ago but just getting sent to the monthly fee program that seemed pointless which led me to believe there was not another option. Appreciate your work!
Now I am trying to log in to Aabaco Small Business and it says it needs to email me. But the Aabaco email never comes.
What do I do now? Why is this so complicated? At least Yahoo was just trying to scam me, now I can’t even use Aabaco…
See this new article: http://www.telapost.com/yahoo-smb-aabaco/
goog to know, thanks!