If you visited a page that looked just like CNN recently which offered the iPhone 6 for $5 and you entered your credit card information, call your card company and deactivate the card now. This is a scam.
If you haven’t entered your information in yet, don’t.
What the scam looks like
One of my clients brought this scam to my attention today. The first thing I noticed was that the URL was not CNN.com on the scam page, it is www.cnn-shopping.com. Well, CNN is not in the shopping business now are they?
The headline of the page reads “Is Apple getting desperate? They’re selling the iPhone 6 for $5 in US”.
Here are some screenshots:
Clicking anything on the fake/spoof webpage above results in you being taken to this page where you can “claim your iPhone 6”:
Or if you visit the URL directly, you’ll get this:
And finally, this is what the next page looks like:
How to tell this is a scam
- If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Nobody is selling the iPhone 6 for $5. If they were, yes, it would make CNN headlines, but, in this case, it is a scam.
- www.cnn-shopping.com can be entered into whois.com, which shows domain registration information. The website was just registered 5 days ago. This is a tell tale sign of a scam.
- The main article says OneInThree is a publicly traded company with the NASDAQ ticker LXQZ. The ticker does not exist.
- CNN does have a shopping site, but it’s www.cnnstoreonline.com.
Note: There is a chance that this is actually an entrance into a really horrible service by “prizebay”, aka prizebay.club. The service is “sort of” legal, but results in most people unknowingly being charged all sorts of fees via small print.
What to do if you entered your credit card information
If you entered your credit card information, call your card company and deactivate the card now.
- 3 Ways To Tell if Google has Indexed Your Content - November 1, 2020
- Google Slows New Content from Entering Search Results in October 2020 - October 19, 2020
- August 15 2020 Google Algorithm Update and Organic Traffic Fluctuations - August 16, 2020