This page has the latest Google Fiber news and information for Raleigh and RDU including Chapel Hill, Cary, and Durham.
What is Google Fiber?
Fast, affordable Internet & TV.
Internet: Google Fiber offers Gigabit Internet that is around 200X faster than most of today’s current “high speed” offerings from companies such as Time Warner. Even on a high speed connection what takes 9 minutes may be slashed to as little as 3 seconds.
Television: Google Fiber offers crystal clear HDTV, an awesome DVR tat can record 8 shows at once and literally smokes DVRs from other companies, apps for remotes, and much more.
Google Fiber Raleigh Timeline of Events
- January 27, 2015: Google announced Google Fiber is coming to Raleigh-Durham.
- January 26, 2015: We announced here on our North Carolina Gigabit Fiber resource that Google Fiber is almost definitely coming to Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill area.
- November 13, 2014: Google has formed “Google Fiber North Carolina LLC”. –WRAL Techwire
- June 10, 2014: Google beings hiring community impact managers for Google Fiber for RDU & Charlotte.
- February 19, 2014: Google announced that they are looking at several new cities to expand into with Google Fiber. In North Carolina, the cities were Charlotte, and then the triangle/RDU/central area of the state. Raleigh, Durham, Carrborro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Garner, and Morrisville, make up metro areas named by Google as potential locations for a Google Fiber high-speed internet expansion.
How much is Google Fiber?
- Gigabit Internet: $70/month
- Gigabit + TV: $120/month
- Basic Broadband Internet: FREE! $0/month (for up to seven years starting from the date your address was first connected to the Google Fiber network for any person) + $300 construction fee
Google Fiber TV Stations
In Raleigh-Durham / RDU the channel list is going to be quite extensive.